Thursday, November 8, 2012

November 5-11 Question 1


Media experiences can definitely reinforce your existing worldviews as well as challenge your views in many ways. For me, I believe that we are always influenced by media in this society. We’ve built up our society around media and it seems as if we find all of our information from media whether it be current events, political information, or even personal beliefs. The way that media can reinforce your beliefs and values is when they agree with your prior beliefs and values. For example, say Fox news says that it’s okay to abort babies and that was your prior position on the issues as well. Then, when you go to reevaluate your position on the issues, you will have Fox as one of your sources for where you received your information. Media can definitely expand your views because it can give insight on information that you didn’t know about. One of the best ways to learn about new things and expand your views is watching the news. The news gives many different perspectives as well as provides a lot of different information.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there,
    The media is definitely influential. It shapes my views of the world. If there are articles or people talking badly of one place outside the U.S., I might believe them because I might know nothing about that place. For all I know, they are horrible people. Then it would be my job to look up the facts for myself but most of the time, I don't because I don't think it is that important. The fact that someone might disagree with whatever I might agree with will question my beliefs. I want to defend my position and I have to look up facts to do that. In the process of doing that, I could find out what I should actually believe in.
    rawrgles

    ReplyDelete