Saturday, September 1, 2012

Chapter 6 Question 2


One time that I have had to defend my opinion was when I was criticized for being a Christian. Some of my friends didn’t agree with my choice of religion and criticized and even avoided me for it. I think that in terms of critical-thinking, my choice to be understanding about their ideas and beliefs helped me with the situation.

This situation also helped me to reanalyze my decision to be a Christian. Critical-thinking skill of reflection helped me to look back on my life and know that what I believe is right. I think that for many people if they slowed down and reflected on their life and on their decisions, they would be able to discern whether or not their opinion or decisions were correct.

Sometimes standing firm in your beliefs can be hard if the price is your friends, family or job. Taking a step back and using critical-thinking skills such as reflection, observation, and evidence can help one to be reaffirmed in their beliefs. 

2 comments:

  1. Though I am not religious, I think it is great that you stood up for what you believed in even when your friends did not agree. You took the time to step back and look at the picture as a whole. Having your friends disagree with what you are so passionate about is tough and it shows great courage for standing strong.
    I liked how you took the time to reflect back on your life to figure out why and what is was you were passionate about. Defining what you are fighting for definitely strengthens your foothold to your beliefs. Jfan925 reminded me of how it is important to stick up for what you believe and to always remind yourself on what it is you have passion for because you never know when someone you care about will challenge your beliefs. And it will come time for you to decide on your stance. I think this is a great life lesson.

    -Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely admire your decision to stand up for your religious belief and do it in a loving way. It had to be horrible for you to be shunned and criticized for what you felt was true. Your response was handled very well. You still cared and respected your friends beliefs. But, I also think that it was healthy for you to take a step back and critically evaluate why you believe in Christianity. You were able to stand firm in your belief system because of the way you handled persecution. Very admirable.

    We can all learn from this story. In times when we feel overwhelmed, or even persecuted like you were, if we just take a step back and re-evaluate our beliefs using critical reasoning, then the outcome will most likely be in our favor. In your case, you responded like Jesus would have (7 x 70) and understood their ideas and beliefs even those the rejected you for yours.

    ReplyDelete