Sunday, September 16, 2012

September 10-17 Question 3



For this week, I decided to discuss the idea of generalization. The part of generalization that I want to talk about is stereotyping. A lot of times we see a certain race or ethnicity of people and automatically have these conclusions about them. For example, a lot of people associate Islamic religious people to be terrorists. That is a negative generalization which actually really sad. People conclude that because a small group of individuals are terrorists, then the rest of them must be terrorists. In the same way, I feel like a lot of people generalize that Asians like rice just because a lot of them eat it every day. I find it almost offensive the way that people generalize all Asians and don’t even say our real nationality whether it be Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc…  Generalization is drawing a conclusion about a certain characteristic of a group or population on the basis of a SAMPLE from that group. Sometimes this method can be positive and sometimes it can be very misleading.

2 comments:

  1. I believe that generalization especially stereotyping is horrible. I know that I am not perfect and I do judge and stereotype people sometimes, but I do try my best to break that habit. I hate it when people tend to stereotype and judge based on knowing a couple of a specific race. I believe that stereotyping and generalizing is normally always misleading and is not a valid sense of reasoning. People normally generalize me as being "just another asian" and I feel like this is detrimental to society as a whole. People need to discover and get to know them rather than judge them based on their skin and nationality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is unfortunate that people use generalizations in a negative way. They are completely valid when talking about something that isn't attacks on a person's identity. While yes, I have made generalizations of people before, it does not make it okay. I feel that these negative generalizations end up hurting a lot of people in different situations. I have been a victim of this plenty of times as well and it has never been fun. Generalizations may help solve some issues, but when it comes to people, it's nearly impossible to do it without inflicting pain on an individual.

    -CesarCOMM41

    ReplyDelete