Wednesday, September 26, 2012

September 24-30 Question 1



I think that one of my strongest types of reasoning is my ability to empathize with others. To empathize means to understand another’s situation and connect on a personal level. The difference between sympathizing and empathizing is that sympathizing is when you also have gone through the same situation that the other person is going through and therefore are able to connect with them.
This might be helpful in a career choice because I plan on becoming a business major with an emphasis in managing. As a manager, I would want to connect with my employees or coworkers in order to receive the best results. If my workers feel that I don’t connect with them on any level and instead of empathizing with them, I just don’t understand any of their situations and they would lose confidence in me. Therefore this is a very important strength that I have and want to use to my advantage for my future career.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is a great aspect to have, and that it will bring you very far in life. I also liked your example, and I believe that it is important for the manager to empathize with the employees. That way you guys can build a stronger relationship and great trust between the two. Being able to know what another is feeling and showing that you care can lead to employees whom work hard and are trustworthy because they can also trust you.
    Again, I think it is a great trait to have and I believe it will bring you really far in your career choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jfan925,

    It is handy to be able to empathize with others. Understanding other's feelings are helpful because it prevents people from hating you or misunderstanding what the true meanings behind what you say is. I sometimes hear the emotions in someone's voice wrong and have a misunderstanding. I think reading between the lines are very important and empathy helps a great deal. I want to be able to understand other people well to help my job as well. As a manager, they really do have to empathize with the workers and customers because if you can't tell they're not happy, it could cause other problems.

    -rawrgles

    ReplyDelete