Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 10-17 Question 1



An inductive argument that I used this past week is when I had to take the bus to work. I have to take the 23 from downtown to Valley Fair Mall. One day I was running a little late and I knew that I was going to be late to the bus stop. Usually, when I go to the bus stop and wait for the 23 to come, it is about 5 minutes late. So I was pretty sure that even though I was late to the bus stop, I will still make the bus because it is usually about 5 minutes late.
The reason that I could say that I would probably still get on the bus was because I take the bus regularly and therefore could say it’s usually late. The premise here was that the bus is usually late which is true. By taking that into account I could still walk to the bus stop and make it in time to catch the bus.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jfan925,

    Great use for inductive reasoning. Last year I would also do the same thing as you. Should I take the bus or car? If i take the bus- what time should I leave? It was constant battle to figure out what to do to make me happy and what time would work the best for me. But finally, I ruled out all of my transportation situations and decided to take the 10:10 bus from my house. It worked out great for me. Great story and you made it really relatable to students of San Jose State.

    Best of Luck,

    -GreekGuy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I can relate to your inductive reasoning, because I too ride the 23 to work very often. I also know that at times it can be late, so it is hard to predict when the bus would come. I usually give myself some cushion time when I have to catch the bus for work. I walk to the bus stop an hour before my shift, giving myself time to walk to the stop and catch the second bus in case I missed the first one, and hopefully still be on time (preferably early) to work. I thought you made a great observation of the bus schedule and used good reasoning. You choose what was best and most suitable for your situation!

    -Robin

    ReplyDelete